Marketing is everything and everything is marketing. This is how my marketing professor started off his class every semester. After sitting in his class, I quickly began to realize he was absolutely correct. He went on that first day to talk about how most people hear the term marketing and only think about advertising, but marketing is so much more than advertising.
What does this look like?
- Marketing is whether or not you choose to advertise as well as where, when and how you advertise.
- It also has to do with how you price your product(s). Are you going for high volume low margin, low volume high margin, etc.
- What demographic will you go after? There may only be a very specific group or there may be a wide range of possibilities.
- Where do you locate the business? Online, brick and mortar, and combination?
- Will you offer payment plans, require a down payment, ask the customer to pay up front for the product, etc.?
- Will you be involved in social media?
- If you have an online store will that be your online presence, will there be a separate website, or a combination?
What to remember: This list could keep on growing, but the basic idea is that marketing is how the company is represented in the world.